Sunday, February 6, 2011

hoop travel bag



Have you heard of The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery?  They're a still-new company making the most adorable cross stitch and sewing patterns.  In December, they got me hooked on mug rugsAmanda of Ms McPorkchop Quilts is one-half of the duo responsible for The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery, and her work is nothing short of inspiring.  When I saw that they had posted a pattern for a hoop travel bag, I knew that I'd be making a million of these.

I was right.

Perhaps the most amazing thing about patterns from The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery is how clear they are.  This pattern, written by Amanda, is easy to follow with lots of pictures and step-by-step instructions.  But, as great as the instructions are, my favourite part of this pattern is how encouraging Amanda is all the way through.  I've never met her, but I'd be willing to bet that if she wasn't doing amazing crafty things she'd make a great teacher.

I quickly whipped up a hoop travel bag of my own.  Feeling inspired to try something new, I gave free-motion quilting a try. I've never done any free-motion quilting before this, and there are parts of my quilting where that certainly shows.  As I sat in my sewing room moaning about how hard it was and how terrible my quilting looked--the curves are sometimes pointy; the loops are sometimes bumpy--Peter gently reminded me that everyone starts somewhere.  He's right, of course, and when I remember that I'm not so disappointed with my stitches.






How much do I love this pattern?  So much that right after I finished my first one, I made a second for my sister.  I know that I'll make more, too, for my English paper piecing, and multiple embroidery projects.  You could use this bag for just about anything, I think: knitting projects, or just to have something pretty to carry whatever you wanted.


6 comments:

  1. you're quick!! it looks so awesome and that blue floral fabric?!! love. you did great for your first free motion attempt. i'm sure you'll be free motion quilting up those big quilt projects in no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those bags are awesome! I can't believe that is your first try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bags look seriously awesome!!!! Can I post some of these photos (with credit of course!) to The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery's blog with links to your post!? Your combo of fabrics & quilting look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, of course you can post some of these pictures! I'm so glad you like my hoop bags; your pattern is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made one, too! I'm on the Hoop Bag Train!!

    -Johanna

    ReplyDelete